Friday 7 February 2014

Issues | Is Uni For You?

The question so many people have to ask themselves when they get to the age of 17/18 is whether university is for them or not. It's a difficult choice and if I'm honest I feel that colleges push the idea of university far too much. Everyone is required to write a personal statement and decide at a too young age what they want to do as a career.

What was my experience of uni like?

The idea of university was something I had always wanted to experience. It was something that was always encouraged by my parents and college. The questions I began to ask myself in the last year of sixth form was; 'what am I going to do with my life after college?', 'where will I be 5 years time?' I've always been one for experiencing new things and new places, I wanted the experience of living somewhere new and studying something I found interesting. For me, this was Psychology, being a second year now I am glad I went to uni, but it wasn't at all how I expected it to me. I was very unhappy for the first few months of my first year and found it very daunting moving so far up the country from my home. Not knowing anyone and have to support myself was intimidating. After a few months, I began to settle in, I pushed myself to try new things and meet new people. I personally feel that uni has changed me as a person to who I was two years ago. Personally I'm glad I went, I feel I've gained a lot more independence and I've learnt a lot of life lessons. I've become more tolerable of people and learnt to compromise a hell of a lot more than I used to. From studying Psychology, I now know that it is something I'd like to do as a career when I graduate. 

HOWEVER

I think that sixth forms need to highlight that there are other options apart from university because it isn't for everyone. Apprenticeships and going straight into work are just as good options. The decision you make should be completely your own decision and it shouldn't be influenced by anyone else. It completely depends on the type of individual you are. Perhaps you like where you are and don't want to move away, or you're happy with your group of friends, it could even be that you've had enough of education and want to get into the real world straight away. Whatever the reason, there is nothing wrong with not going to uni and I don't think this is stressed enough. You can be successful without going to university and you can still go far in life. Money wise, you won't be in a huge amount of debt like say I will be. For 3 years of tuition it will cost me a total of  £27,000 and that isn't counting the loan I get given by student finance which is around £3,000 a year. If you're not 100% sure you want to go, then don't go, because it isn't worth the money you'd be paying, especially if you want to drop out. 

Something I should have thought about

Like I stated earlier, I am one for adventure, one day I want to go travelling. Something which I wish I would have thought about was deferring and take a gap year. Personally I don't think I was ready for uni when I was 18. At the time I didn't really know what I wanted to do and needed more time. Thinking back, it didn't even seem like an option to me. I've always toyed with the idea of travelling, its something I want to do in my life. Some of my friends took a gap year themselves, worked full time and then went travelling, they said it was the best time of their life and grew up a hell of a lot whilst being away. If travelling is something you want to do, then do it while you can, it will get to an age where you won't be able to do it due to your job or starting a family.

Think long and hard on what you want to do, whether it's university or getting a job or starting an apprenticeship. Do what you think is best for yourself, you know yourself more than anyone else.

Eikc.  

No comments:

Post a Comment